Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New style, what do you think?

I'm now playing with some different styles of bags, so this was what I came up with last night. I've decided Monday nights will be my sewing nights, as that is Julio's youth night and I have a quiet house to myself once the boys are in bed. Last night I had a special treat as my cousin Kristine came by to talk sewing with me! She hemmed a skirt, and cut out some material for a bag for herself and I sewed and we had the most lovely chat. And she loved my dehydrated apple slices so that was another big bonus :) . Fun night. Here's what I did:




And this is a bag I made on the weekend. It has no owner as of yet, and if it doesn't get snatched up soon I may just make this my new bag. It's getting tough to make nice bags and then give them away, so I may just need to keep this one for myself! That being said, I have a lot more of this material so I can always make another if someone is interested.




On another note, Jaimee and I have officially decided to go into "business" with an Etsy site...just need to take a bunch of pictures and sew up a few more things and we'll probably be good to go. I can't wait! We even have a name..."Lilypad"! Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Stephen said...

Hey.
I think you make great stuff.

Must be fun to experiment - creating new things. The great thing is that different designs will appeal to different people. I personally like the 2nd (green/flowery) design better (but that's because it's less 'pursey' and I'm not into purses). I like the unmixed colors on the end (that match the strap) and then the patterned flowers on the front and back. The non-ubiquitous pattern makes it for me.

Anyway, I'm not much of a fashion person - having very little personal style. Ask my brothers or friends (growing up) or Sheri-Lee. So, don't take my opinion as gospel.

Last thing though: I think it's VERY cool that you are opening an Etsy shop. I just ran into that site a month or two ago and thought of you immediately and was going to recommend it - but then saw on here that you already knew about it. Pfff.

And one recommendation: Sheri-Lee and I were looking at Kevin Grant's Photography the other day and I think white backgrounds with minimal shadows really 'sell' an item better - and people think 'quality'. Just a personal pref. What do you think?

Corinna said...

I completely agree on the photography front. The one thing that bugs me about all this so far is taking these crappy pictures of the stuff, b/c I really don't feel it looks as nice. We have big plans to get those fine photographers taking pictures of our goods, and with their nice camera to boot. Thanks for the suggestion though, I was thinking along the same lines! My point and shoot just isn't cutting it! And we don't have the kind of natural lighting happening in our house either to make it all look how I'd like. Grr..
I think it's so nice of you to even look at my weird little obsession and say nice things, thanks Steve!
Can't wait to get the Etsy site up and running...we were talking more about it today, the dream WILL become a reality someday!

Kelsey Loewen said...

hey...i have access to some pretty sweet cameras. i have a tripod. and I have great natural lighting in my apartment. so, if you want, you and jaimee can come over once you've made a whole bunch of bags, i'll snap some semi-good quality photos, and you guys will look like pros! oh, and i'm all over designing your logo.

Robyn said...

I wonder if Stephen knows that it's your potty mouth sister who is the je ne sais quoi behind Kevin Grant Photography. I liked his comments. It's good to know you have a friendly willing friend to help you with the photos, too. I should be able to get the white studio set up soon and have time to help you out though if you want. I almost considered wanting a bag when we went to the wedding with Claire's old purple backpack. Most of the time we don't tote things to formal events so children's backpacks ans Superstore 99 cent bags usually do the trick. How unsupportive can a sister be, eh?

L said...

Beautiful bags, as always. I love the fabric on the first one :)

Also LOVE the second one. I know I've said this before, but I love the size of the bag and I love the across-the-body strap. I use it ALL the time, but I'm thinking I might like another darker-coloured one for winter. I can see how you'd find it hard to give up your "babies." They're all so cute!

mike said...

I made slings out of that fun material a few years ago...nice!
tamijo